2 Nov 2020 - 13 Nov 2020
Open Innovation Workshop
[Update: In view of the COVID-19 situation, the Open Innovation Workshop originally scheduled on 21-22 May 2020 will be postponed to a later date. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please indicate your interest at https://tinyurl.com/open-innovation-workshop and we will contact you when a new date is confirmed]
* * * * *
In today’s complex and competitive business world, companies that do not innovate risk being obsolete and irrelevant. Instead of relying entirely on internal ideas, open innovation means that companies should make much greater use of external ideas and technologies in their own businesses, while allowing their unused ideas to be used by others.
The workshop on Open Innovation offers innovation/R&D managers in corporates, SMEs or government agencies insights into how open innovation can work for their organisations, and give them access to tools and platforms offered by IPI to accelerate their innovation journeys through collaboration.
1. Introduction to Open Innovation
2. Introduction to Intellectual Property (IP) and IP Management
3. Understanding and Accessing Innovation Networks
4. Essentials of IP Strategy in Open Innovation
5. Essential Tools and Platforms to Support Open Innovation
6. Challenge-Driven Open Innovation
Date: To be confirmed
Duration: 2 Days, 9.00 am – 5.30 pm
Venue: To be advised
Who Should Attend:
- Corporate and SME innovation managers seeking to bring new products or services to market more quickly through embarking on an open innovation strategy
- Officers/Managers in R&D or innovation and enterprise management who would like to learn about the various types of intellectual property, IP protection and strategies, the concept of Open Innovation and its tools and platforms
By the end of the workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand the concept of Open Innovation and its best practices to accelerate internal innovation
- Apply the types of Open Innovation tools and platforms to support your work in this area
- Understand and access the global innovation networks
- Acquire the basics of Intellectual Property (IP) Rights, concepts in IP management and equip with knowledge on IP strategy in Open Innovation
- Learn challenge-driven innovation and platforms to support such innovation challenge initiatives
- Dr Sze Tiam Lin, Senior Director, IPI
- Michael Goh, Deputy Director, IPI
- Alvin How, Senior Technology Manager, IPI
Please indicate your interest to participate here: https://tinyurl.com/open-innovation-workshop
If you have any enquiries, please contact Charlene_Boh@ipi-singapore.org
- Introduction to Open Innovation
The concept of Open Innovation will be introduced in this module. Open Innovation addresses a new imperative for business growth by purposeful inflow and outflow of knowledge to accelerate internal innovation. The benefits and challenges of adopting Open Innovation will be discussed and illustrated with real-life case studies. You will learn how Open Innovation works for corporates and SMEs, and the roles of public and private intermediaries in accelerating product to the market. Measuring, evaluating and stimulating Open Innovation in a company will be discussed.
- Introduction to Intellectual Property (IP) and IP Management
You will gain an overview of the different forms of intellectual property (IP) and the basics of IP management. The module will cover the IP rights associated with different forms of IP such as patents, copyright, trademarks, confidential information and industrial designs. You will learn the decision making processes that goes behind IP ownership, how to manage jointly owned IP, strategies in managing patent portfolios, as well as key considerations in reaching IP ownership decisions.
- Understanding and Accessing Innovation Networks
The module provides an overview of innovation networks in the public and private sectors, local and overseas that support your Open Innovation journey. A survey and introduction of Singapore’s innovation landscape, stakeholders and networks will be presented. With this understanding, it will enable you to learn and gain access to similar innovation networks worldwide. The roles of S&T and partnership intermediaries around the world will be introduced including innovation networks such as Enterprise Europe Network (EEN) which you can tap on to support your business, technology transfer and R&D collaboration.
- Essentials of IP Strategy in Open Innovation
In this module, the basics of IP strategy to support your business needs will be presented. It will discuss how IP strategy can protect and facilitate bi-directional flow of knowledge to support Open Innovation. The module will introduce IP licensing and collaboration models with Institutes of Higher Learning (IHLs) and discuss the treatment of IP ownership and right-of-use of the background and foreground IP in a research collaboration agreement. The module will equip you with knowledge on different collaboration models between industry, government agencies and IHL or Research Institutes in the context of IP ownerships, right-of-use and considerations for successful collaborations.
- Essential Tools and Platforms to Support Open Innovation
This module offers rich resources to assist your search for innovation opportunities, funding, IP advisory and services, to innovation facilitation tools and Open Innovation platforms to support and accelerate your collaboration process. From online IP marketplace and TechExpert, to patent database and market report, you can fast-track your search for partnership opportunities. In addition, the module will introduce facilitating tools like technology road-mapping, design thinking and Open Innovation Canvas to aid your innovation process.
- Challenge-Driven Open Innovation
The basics, benefits and steps of challenge-driven innovation will be covered in this module. You will learn strategies and techniques to define challenge and problem statements that meet the objectives of your innovation call. You will also practice drafting effective challenge or problem statements through a hands-on exercise, and learn how to leverage online platforms to post your problems or challenges.