Dr Kelvin Ng is the Founder and Scientific Adviser of Ecosen Solutions. For more than 9 years, he worked as a Scientist at the CREATE-MIT SMART to develop water and air quality monitoring technology for environmental sensing. Before coming to Singapore, he worked as a Researcher at the University of California Santa Barbara to develop laser diagnostics optical imaging systems and a shock tube facility for capturing the aerobreakup of liquids. His expertise is in the research and development of sensors, atmospheric dissemination, and sprays and atomisation.
His prior research experiences include compressible multi-hydrodynamics, liquid jets breakup in gaseous crossflow, 3D transient sliding mesh modeling of blade-row aerodynamic interactions, 3D transient modeling of key elements in converting a passenger aircraft to fire-fighting tanker, developed 2D transient computational codes to investigate the dynamic instabilities of air-support devices related to the mechanics of web floatation in manufacturing, and industrial experience as a process engineer in a semiconductor company. He has also mentored research staffs and more than 20 students for their final year projects and internships.
The project is to develop compact multi-platform compatible sensors that provide a holistic solution for the monitoring of water resources. The invented technology utilizes combined optical principles (i.e., multi-excitation fluorescence, broadband absorbance, and scattering) to identify and quantify contaminants and natural substances in water, enable 'lab-like' assessment to be performed in situ and in real-time. The usage of the technology has been demonstrated in various field deployments encompassing (a) 3D spatiotemporal water quality surveillance, (b) observation of temporal variation of analytes at a fixed location, and (c) portable discrete measurements.
- Primary inventor of the technology (called 'LEDIF')
- Design and development of optical systems and sensor cores
- Design and development of the mechanical system and interface
- System Packaging - Flow simulation and modeling
- Design of experiment and data analysis for characterization, benchmarking, tests, and trials of the technology
- Productisation (during commercial phase)
As a secondary effort, an air quality sensing prototype that utilises multi-pass absorbance and scattering principles for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and particulate matter measurements was also developed. The device has been tested for the detection of various VOCs and fine particulate matter produced by laboratory chemicals and household products.
- Environment - Product Design & Development, Prototype Build, Test & Verification/Clinical Trials
ASOS is a shock tube facility that operates in the dynamic pressure range of 104 to 106 Pa. The laser diagnostic system comprised of multiple cameras (1) copper laser strobe illumination, video imaging system and (2) Nd:YAG illumination still imaging system that operates with different laser diagnostic techniques (laser-induced fluorescence, particle imaging velocimetry, shadowgraphy, Schlieren, and photography), instrumented over 4 meters of optically accessible expansion section. The lasers are operated in the nano-second pulse duration with up to 20 MW and 50 kHz frequency.
The main focus of the ASOS facility is to pursue the fundamental understandings of the breakup of fluids with different rheological properties in supersonic gas flow fields and disturbed flow fields, which has application in the study of atmospheric dissemination of liquids and among others. In particular, it is used to capture the modes of breakup, evolution of breakup products, and particle sizes distributions for Newtonian and visco-elastic liquids as well as shock fluidization of solid particles.
- Design and development of the full laser diagnostics optical imaging system encompassing particle imaging velocimetry, pulsed shadowgraphy, pulsed photography, laser induced fluorescence imaging, and laser strobe illumination high-speed video imaging for the facility
- Designed, developed and/or setup the equipment, instruments, and interface for the facility
- Electronics - Product Design & Development, Prototype Build, Test & Verification/Clinical Trials