Dr Ngin Hoon Tong is Programme Director at Experimental Power Grid Centre, [email protected] (Programme Partner - EcoLabs COI). He has over 18 years of track record in growing Singapore's R&D innovation ecosystem in energy and infocomm sectors. He is experienced in technology planning, conceptualisation and project management of R&D and test-bedding programmes. He has also forged strategic partnerships with multi-national corporations, large local enterprises, and other economic agencies, like Enterprise Singapore (ESG) and the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB), to enhance the market translation and commercialisation of these R&D efforts.
He has managed multiple R&D projects, including large scale demonstration projects in micro-grids, energy storage, solar forecasting, and electric vehicle. Others included the application of emerging technologies such as data analytics, artificial intelligence, blockchain and drones/robotics, and in power sector specific areas, like power plant efficiency improvement, gas pipeline monitoring, smart grids/micro-grids, distributed energy resource management systems and cyber-physical security enhancements.
He is familiar with energy market policies and regulations and is co-convenor of Electrical Energy Storage Systems Standards Working Group under ESG's National Standards Council. He is also co-chair of IMDA's Telecommunications Standards Advisory Committee, focusing on access networks.
Dr Ngin has a PhD and BEng (First-Class) in Electrical Engineering from National University of Singapore.
- The digital concierge is a suite of mobile platforms that third party businesses can leverage on to quickly develop to build rich and innovative mobile services for the tourism, hospitality and retail sectors in Singapore
- Responsible for driving the development of a mobile payment platform in collaboration with a global e-payment player and the development of a mobile ticketing platform with a major ticketing operator in Singapore
- Involved in mobile platform design and development, user requirements gathering, wireless communications, and standards development
- Infocomm - Product Design & Development, Certification/Regulatory Compliance
- The Pulau Ubin micro-grid test-bed is Singapore's first micro-grid, which served as an experimental platform to test-bed new smart grid technologies and provided reliable electricity to over thirty residents and business owners at the jetty area of Pulau Ubin
- Responsible for driving the design, build, and operation of the micro-grid test-bed
- This includes consulting 13 land-related agencies and conducting periodic info-sharing sessions to residents, grassroot leaders and Member-of-Parliament for its construction
- Involved in micro-grid design, renewable options assessment, stakeholder engagement, land planning, and regulatory consultation and clearance
- Energy - Product Design & Development, Certification/Regulatory Compliance