Hong Ling Tim is currently a Principal Lecturer under Industry track at Republic Polytechnic. He has held various positions within Republic Polytechnic such as the Senior Conexus Manager for the SMART Engineering Technology Centre and also Manager for the industry joint laboratory with Texas Instruments specialising in low power wireless applications.
Ling Tim was also involved in numerous grants or funding for research and development in the areas of biomedical electronics and has engaged in consultancies project with the industry. Some of his recent projects include Gamified Fine Motor Skill Rehabilitation Device for Children with Developmental Disorders, Wireless Monitoring of the Muscle Blood Flow in Low Back Pain Population, and Smart Sanitizer System for Hand Infection Prevention.
Prior to joining Republic Polytechnic, he held a senior position as a project manager at Willowglen Services Pte Ltd, and was project engineer at Defence Science and Technology Agency.
He graduated with a Master of Science in Electrical & Electronics Engineering from the National University of Singapore, a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Electrical Engineering from the Nanyang Technological University and a Diploma from Ngee Ann Polytechnic. He was recently awarded the Crescendas Medal and Prize for Outstanding Applied Physics Researcher (Polytechnics) 2019.
The project aims to take weight measurements for bedridden and physically impaired patients. Ling Tim designed and implemented suitable force sensors to fit onto various fixture platforms for measuring precision human weight. He also added in low energy Bluetooth wireless protocol technologies and integrated the design into the company backend cloud system which helped the company to implement features which are more efficient than the current in the market:
- Quick response time: Single-second response rate
- Lightweight: A thin bed pad makes it portable and easy to slip beneath most mattresses and beds
- Smart sensitivity: Intelligent sensors allow the alert to be triggered no matter which bed section the occupant is at
- Highly customizable: Alarm can be flexibly programmed to work only at specific timings
- Wireless communication: Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functions reduce the need for expensive cables, which in itself is a trip hazard
- Dual function: Doubles up as “weighing bed” that enables easy tracking of a resident’s weight trends
This project is already licensed to a local company and have been implemented in elderly homes.
- Electronics - Product Design & Development, Prototype Build, Test & Verification/Clinical Trials
- Healthcare - Product Design & Development, Prototype Build, Test & Verification/Clinical Trials