Prof Jeff Obbard is an environmental scientist and engineer with more than 20 years of research and consultancy experience in climate change, sustainability & environmental technologies in the region of Southeast Asia, and internationally. Jeff is also a Visiting Professor to the School of Water, Energy & Environment, Cranfield University in the UK.
Jeff has held various positions in universities, research institutes and private companies. He spent 17 years at the National University of Singapore, Faculty of Engineering, in positions including Director of the Sustainable Development & Water Alliance, and Research Director at the Tropical Marine Science Institute. He was also a Principal Scientist at A*STAR, Singapore, and the Vice President of Science & Technology on a Royal Dutch Shell Petroleum joint-venture in the USA. In the private sector, he was Director of Environment, Sustainability & Climate Change at Tembusu Asia Consulting in Singapore, and a Senior Scientist in Hong Kong where he managed environmental assessment projects for civil infrastructure developments, as well as environmental technology related to carbon capture, waste-to-energy and biofuels.
Jeff is serving as an Expert Reviewer to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and was the team leader for the UN Mondialogo Engineering Award for sustainable development. He has provided training throughout ASEAN on aspects of climate change science, mitigation and adaptation.
- Project lead for carbon capture, mass microalgae culture, harvesting & processing
- Product development for biofuels and livestock feeds
- Project management of US Department of Energy and US Department of Agriculture grants for scientific research on the development of biofuels and livestock & aquaculture feeds
- Energy - Product Design & Development, Test & Verification/Clinical Trials, Process/Industrial Engineering, Certification/Regulatory Compliance
- Foods - Product Design & Development, Test & Verification/Clinical Trials, Process/Industrial Engineering, Certification/Regulatory Compliance
- Consulted for various government agencies in Asia Pacific & India on aspects of environmental science & technology, climate change, environmental impact assessment and due diligence, bioremediation & waste management
- Environment - Product Design & Development, Prototype Build