The company currently faces the following issues:
- Turnkey processes consist of multiple manual steps to cater to different customer needs which involve a wide variety of combinations of items for assembly
- Each customer’s requirements vary due to different/unique product packaging designs, and there are over 100 combinations of items for assembly
- Customers also have varying order patterns due to urgency and periodic surges (i.e. product launches). Typical batch of production vary from 3000 to 20,000 pieces per job type with an average around 8,000 pieces per job type.
The company is seeking technologies/solutions that can address the following objectives:
- Reduce production cost
- Increase workshop capacity (per sqm)
- Identify work step process of manual activities for process improvement
The proposed solution should be modular, flexible and easily configurable on-site, to cater to the high mix in product configurations and to meet argeted improvement driven by above objectives. Target payback around 3 years or less.
The key stages of the packing process requiring automation are as follows:
- Forming the box/packaging: This is to form the box/packaging structure from its original flattened form
- Inserting items: Items can include paper leaflets
- Pasting labels: Labels are currently in roll and sheet form, with varying label sizes and stringent positioning of labels required
- Closing the box/packaging
There are no restrictions to the types of technology deployed, including picking robots, leaflet dispensers etc. However, the proposed solution should address the following requirements:
Proposed solutions should be able to handle fragile items or paper leaflets.