A Singapore based company in the land transport sector is seeking solution to detect surface defects, damages to painted surfaces of the bodywork of an automotive and to create a 3D image of the vehicle. At present, this task is carried out manually by a team of inspectors to identify the surface defects and damages. As it is carried out visually by human, it is prone to inconsistencies in the assessment. It takes about 45mins to completely scan the entire vehicle and digitize it into a 3D image.
The solution that is sought should be simple to use and ideally can be operated by a non-technical person with some training. It is envisioned that the solution could include both hardware and software, both of which, if possible, should be integrated with a smartphone. It is envisioned that the solution should be able to carry out the following:
- Scanning of the entire vehicle to detect and identify the followings:
- Uneven paintwork
- Mis-aligned body panels
- Identify the location of the defects on the vehicle
- During the scanning of the bodywork to detect defects and damages, a 3D image of the vehicle will be captured, and this will be presented as a 3D image of the vehicle for visualization purpose.
- Annotation of the defects on the 3D image.
- While NOT preferred, if the solution requires the vehicle to be placed in a special environment or the use of rigs or fixtures, the setting-up of this environment must be low cost. It must be portable, collapsible, transportable (in the trunk of a saloon car), can be set-up by at the most, a 2-men team. Any power supply needed, must be self-contained.
- The solution must be portable, easy to use (by a non-technical person), the data collected should be transmittable to a central location. Cybersecurity aspects needs to be address as well. However, this can be considered at a later stage once the technical aspects have been addressed but should be considered and provisioned for right from the start.