Due to COVID-19 pandemic the world experienced global lockdown as never before. Its impact on industries is enormous and caused redefinition of people’s work in pandemic and post-pandemic times.
The company is seeking to apply its technology in addressing the following issues:
- Highly skilled expert’s like doctors are not able to travel, visit patients, work and get trained as pre-pandemic.
- The professional group with highest COVID-19 cases ratio - is the medical staff, entire hospitals are locked under quarantine which causes severe problems for doctors’ availability for patients also requiring treatment other than COVID-19 related
- Limited capabilities of existing collaboration platforms (Teams, WebEX) – not possible to work, examine and train people to use manual tools & presenting large 3D objects
The company could apply its technology to the above challenges through the following use-cases:
- Telemedicine – In many countries the governments are changing the law immediately. Not all medical consultancy requires a direct contact with patients. The immersive technologies allow remote diagnosis, work and consultancy. It helps maintain high standards of medical care without exposing patients and doctors to COVID-19 threat.
- Collaboration between hospitals – at some stages of care the doctors can work as shared resources between various medical centers and help patients to get care with no delays, lowering risk of being exposed to COVID-19.
- Education of current and new doctors – The immersive technology allows i.e. advanced remote training in extended reality, planning the surgery in augmented reality or explaining an illness in 3D, thus lowering the need to be physically present in the training center.
TECHNOLOGY FEATURES & SPECIFICATIONS
The company’s product is an Immersive Learning and Collaboration Management System. The technology is a result of the company’s constant passion for innovation. It was initially designed for Industry and Manufacturing verticals and have since been implemented with great success at Daimler factory in Poland. The technology brings unique perspective, to facilitate in the collaboration of highly skilled professionals all over the world.
The platform uses immersive technologies (Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality).
The core features are:
- remote support tools with Augmented reality - the person on site wearing AR glasses or using tablet/smartphone is supported by remote experts who can see everything through the AR device, with the same perception as being on site.
- the full scope of advanced training is covered:
- Firstly, the staff is trained in virtual reality in usage of tools.
- Secondly, when they passed the tests they move to the next step. Users will proceed with real work utilising AR glasses which are guided by the system.
- Thirdly, quality assurance is conducted by the system which facilitates real-time controls and supports the staff with their work.
- Lastly, the company’s knowledge base could be built up and Artificial intelligence is utilised for improving work of staff.
Three major applications that we see are:
1. Industry 4.0 with Smart Factories
The technology is mostly implemented in the:
- training area
- supporting assembly with artificial intelligence and smart guidance
- smart maintenance
- remote support
- Training in extended reality (XR)
- Planning in AR the surgery
- Explaining an illness in XR 3D
- Motivation in VR
- Rehabilitation in XR
- Relaxation during surgery
- Step-by-step instructions in hospitals
- Hospital infrastructure maintenance
Recent real applications:
London hospitals using AR remote support with COVID related patients. They minimize the quantity of medical personnel working with COVID treated patient. This is exactly one of core functionalities of the company’s technology platform.
3. Advanced Remote Training with Manual Work and Exercises Required
- Extension of e-learning and remote collaboration platforms – allowing learners to have 360 degrees views of the learning environment
Market Trends & Opportunities
Automotive & Smart Factories
- Augmented reality (AR) in automotive market growing year-to year by 20%. The fastest growing region in the world is APAC with CAGR 35%. Market worth of USD 6.79 Billion.
- Virtual reality (VR) in automotive market growing by CAGR 38%, predicted to reach USD 6.78 Billion in 2025.
- The global AR in Healthcare market size was valued at $609.60 million in 2018 and is projected to reach $4,237.60 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 27.4% from 2019 to 2026.
- The global virtual reality in the healthcare market size stood at USD 1.56 Billion in 2018 is expected to reach USD 30.40 Billion by 2026, exhibiting a CAGR of 42.4%.
Dominant opportunities are in pain Management, Education and Training, Surgery, Patient Care Management, Rehabilitation and Therapy Procedures and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
To illustrate the benefits after the technology was applied for use by a premium car manufacturer:
- Significant improvements in the production process: training process starts in VR, the speed of information assimilation by workers increased by 40%, human errors are reduced by 30%, costs of errors and damaging tools in VR close to zero
- Improved efficiency in learning process and usage of time: training can start in VR even before the car parts will arrive at factory, workers will have necessary reflexes and muscle memory reflexes and muscle memory. No bottlenecks and limits of brick and mortar testing and assembly stations (more than 1 000 people can be trained in VR one week)
- Quality and assurance assisted by AI: during the assembly process, correction of errors happens in real time, predictive hints with tutorials, building company knowledge base
- AR Remote support: the remote expert sees everything through the AR glasses and fully interacts with the local factory staff, reduce need of the expert traveling’s (logistics improvement, cost reduction, environmental friendly – less CO2, handicapped people can support factory staff)