Active brand protection is important as the globalisation of supply chain and ecommerce growth has made it easier for counterfeit goods to be introduced and sold to unsuspecting customers. This technology provides a simple and cost-effective solution for companies offering business-to-business products in high and low volumes to effectively identify counterfeit goods and safeguard their brand.
Using advanced luminescent nanomaterials, this technology combines the use of such materials with a hardware and software to provide a highly secure product authentication and anti-counterfeit solution. The proprietary nanomaterial can be customised to provide a unique signature and effectively layered overtly (visible) or covertly (invisible) on security elements to be printed on labels, packaging, products and/or embedded into raw materials for extrusion processes. It is compatible with water-based, solvent-based or UV inks to undergo gravure printing, screen-printing and flexographic printing.
The technology owner is interested in new product development collaborations and research and development opportunities, in particular for use in masterbatch and textile fibres.
This material has been designed for a broad range of products and is targeted for mass volume specialty products.
Features of the advanced luminescent materials include:
- Specialty taggants that create highly secure, nanometre-precise signals to allow brand owners to distinguish between genuine and counterfeit goods
- Invisible to the human eye and will not interfere with product design and function
- Can be added to materials that undergo extrusion processes e.g., polymers, metals, ceramic, and concrete
- Able to be incorporated to water-based, solvent-based or UV inks for gravure printing, screen-printing, and flexographic printing
- Can be designed to withstand extreme conditions e.g., high temperatures, pressures, acidity etc
The technology will comprise of the following components – customised advanced luminescent materials, hardware (a portable reader equipped with a high-definition optical sensor that accurately detects the unique properties of the advanced luminescent materials) and software (to pair smartphone app with reader for ‘online’ mode product authentication and displays customizable product information unique to each company and desktop dashboard provides a complete overview of product authentication statistics).
Potential applications of the technology include (but not limited to):
- Healthcare – medical devices, pharmaceuticals, nutraceutical products
- Consumer goods such as toys, luxury products
- Packaging materials
- Specialty/functional materials
The company is interested in seeking collaborations to apply the technology for masterbatch and textile materials production.