Indium tin oxide (ITO) has been widely used as a transparent electrode, but it is not able to meet the recent requirements from various applications for lower resistance. Metal mesh has been developed as an alternative, but there is a trade-off between lower resistance and finer wiring lines, because when large size is required, transmissivity has to be sacrificed by the increased line width to lower the resistance.
This technology offer is a unique metal mesh-based transparent conductive film with high aspect ratio wiring, which enables lower resistance and high transmissivity at the same time. It also has very high planarity of the film surface, ensuring stable performance and quality when used as a transparent electrode for thin film applications. These advantages were realised by a unique roll-to-roll manufacturing process.
This technology offer is a unique manufacturing process for making high light transmissivity and low electrical resistance metal mesh-based transparent conductive film. The technical features and specifications are listed as follows:
- Unique wire forming method (wire embedded in substrate film)
- Super fine line width of 2 µm or less
- Low sheet resistance of 2 Ω or less (when transmissivity is 89%)
- High aspect ratio wiring (aspect ratio = thickness to width ratio of a wiring line) to achieve low resistance maintaining high transmissivity
- Wide choice of base film materials (Polyethylene terephthalate (PET), polycarbonates (PC), cyclic olefin polymer (COP))
- Single side and double side patterning available
- Supply form: Roll form and sheet form available (max size 580 x 700 mm)
The use of this technology is for industries that requires transparent conductive film. The potential applications include but are not limited to:
- Transparent touch sensor
- Transparent heater
- Transparent display backplane
- Transparent antenna
- Transparent meta surface (radio wave reflector)
- Transparent electrode for flexible photovoltaics (PV)
- Transparent electrode for light control panel
- Transparent electromagnetic interference (EMI) shield
- Low electrical resistance and high light transmissivity (allows for wider applications such as larger display sizes, speedy defogging/defrosting for heaters, high conversion efficiency for photovoltaics and quick response for light conditioning)
- Possible additional function for display surfaces (e.g. 5G antenna, heater etc.)
The technology owner is keen on R&D collaborations with partners who need to transparent conductive film such as electronics or photovoltaics industry to name a few.