The desired outcome is to find materials that are able to be processed by means of additive manufacturing technologies and are suitable for cold forming operations. The materials provided should withstands heavy cyclic loads due to the working conditions of the process.
The current forming dies are made of different high carbon tool steels, hardened and in most cases PVD coated. The increase in volume of AHSS (Advanced High Strength Steels) used for automotive structural components due to light-weighting has affected the life of the existing forming tools\dies considerably. Therefore, either faster reparability or harder and more wear resistance materials are needed to reduce damage on the tooling and increase tool life.
The technology seeker is interested in additive manufacturing due to the flexibility of the process and the different materials that could be used at specific zones among the forming dies, where severe wear is observed. Knowledge and experience in the printing process is also expected from the technology provider besides the materials proposed.
Regarding tool repair, the material proposed should be able to be added on top of the worn surface, therefore the printing process must be capable of working on top of irregular surfaces. In the case of newly developed high wear resistance material for new inserts, this is not a limitation since the design of the components could start from a flat surface.
The desired solution will:
• Allow cold forming of AHSS (>600 MPa)
• Provide outstanding wear resistance properties
• Possibility to work with uncoated and Zn coated steel sheets
• Provide minimum hardness of 58 HRC
• Work under fatigue conditions
• Be robust and repeatable
The propsoed solution must provide information on:
- Non-confidential description of proposed material\process\technology
- Available technical data of:
- Technical maturity of the approach (concept, reduced to practice, prototype, ready to commercialize, ready to implement, commercialized)
- Pathway to commercial scale including timing, estimated budget, and capacity for manufacture
- Estimated unit cost of technology
- Position on intellectual property including patent references
- Desired relationship with the technology seeker
- Team description and related experience (please update your professional and organization profile on the submission form)
Not of interest are materials that cannot be added on top of medium-high carbon steels (0.4 – 1.5 wt% C)