The Open Innovation Platform (OIP), an initiative by the Info-Communications Media Development Authority of Singapore (IMDA), aims to connect real business challenges to problem solvers.
As the company managing Changi Airport, Changi Airport Group (CAG) undertakes key functions focusing on airport operations and management, air hub development, commercial activities and airport emergency services. CAG also manages Seletar Airport and through its subsidiary, Changi Airports International, invests in and manages foreign airports.
Retail is an important part of Changi Airport’s operations, contributing to approximately half of CAG’s total revenue. Healthy retail revenue strengthens Changi’s position as a global air hub as it allows CAG to keep aeronautical charges competitive. With more than 400 retail shops and 140 F&B outlets, passengers at Changi Airport are spoilt for choice. With the rise of e-commerce and increasingly time-pressed travellers, there is a need to create a more seamless shopping experience for our passengers through transforming the current checkout process.
During certain peak hours, there are queues for the checkout lines which may result in lost sales as passengers may not be able to wait. Furthermore, passengers are required to present various documentation, e.g. boarding pass, passport for checks and loyalty cards (if any), along with their payment mode of choice at the point of sale, which is cumbersome.
There is an opportunity to increase the propensity to shop if the checkout process was more seamless. A seamless checkout solution that reduces the transaction time to purchase a product and the queue of customers waiting to pay, would differentiate the retail experience in Changi Airport, and increase sales.
How can we transform the checkout experience for passengers travelling through the airport to make it seamless to purchase spirits, wines and beers, ensuring compliance with Singapore Customs regulations where applicable?
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR
There are no restrictions on the geographical location of the problem solvers who may choose to apply to this challenge. However, the prototype needs to be demonstrated in Singapore.
POSSIBLE USES CASE
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
30% of the prize money will be awarded to each selected finalist at the start of the prototype development, with the remainder 70% to be awarded during the prototype development, based on milestones agreed between CAG and the solver.
Note that a finalist who is selected to undertake the prototype development will be required to enter into an agreement with CAG that will include more detailed conditions pertaining to the prototype.
We are open to global and Singapore-based individuals, research providers and companies that have digital technology expertise and innovation capabilities. Some of these include Info-Comm and Media (ICM) start-ups, SMEs and larger companies. Problem Solvers should have the ability and desire to co-create and innovate with Problem Owners or/and other partners to translate their ideas into solutions that can address real business needs.
Global solvers may apply for challenges on the OIP. However, from time to time, some Problem Owners may require applicants to have a physical presence in Singapore in order to perform a demonstration of the Proof-of-Concept or Prototype. Global applicants must be prepared to bear the additional cost of travel. Applicants are encouraged to check the respective challenges if there are such requirements before applying.
Technical details of the problem statements as well as information related to the innovation calls can be found on the IMDA Open Innovation Platform (OIP) which you will be redirected to after clicking on the 'Proceed To Details' button below and filling up a short form with your basic information.