5. Determine the wear index of road markings in accordance with SS589 in a fast, safe and efficient way
UPDATE: Tech briefing pdf is now available for download in ATTACHMENT
UPDATE 2: Refer to Additional Info below for the Proposal Submission Instructions
Currently, regular visual inspections are carried out by our outsourced inspectors to check for any defects on road-related infrastructure, including road markings. Re-painting will be carried out for visually faded markings with priority given to safety critical markings. However, such visual inspections are subjective in nature and do not allow an objective assessment and data collection of the condition of road markings on a network basis to facilitate proper asset management.
There is no alternative method in the market that allows measurement of wear index of road markings at traffic speed except for visual inspections. To more objectively determine the wear index of road markings, it is stipulated in the road maintenance contract that the inspectors would have to close the road lane first in order to assess the wear index of road markings in accordance with SS589. The inspectors would use test grids (see attachment) and placed them on the road markings to assess the degree of wear within each square grid visually. This process is hence very time-consuming as it requires approximately 30 min for lane closure and an additional 10 to 15 min for the wear index assessment for a road marking.
The proposed equipment/method should use contactless technology to capture condition of road markings continuously at traffic speed without lane closures and should travel within the lane, adhering to LTA’s traffic rules and regulations. The proposed equipment/method should be able to calculate the wear index based on the captured marking condition. This will reduce the time taken for maintenance inspectors to assess the wear index of the road markings by more than 45 min and allows for an objective assessment of the wear index due to results from the equipment/method. In addition, the wear index results must be in accordance with SS589 and must be presented in a graphical/map format for easy reference to the test sites and their respective results.
Q2 2020 – Prototype:
The prototype must be able to capture the condition of the road markings instantaneously.
Q4 2020 – Pilot Deployment
During the Pilot Deployment, the wear index results must be in accordance with SS589 and be measured continuously at traffic speed without lane closures.
Q2 2020 – Prototype
Q4 2020 – Pilot Deployment
Q3 2021 – Implementation
Market Potential for proposed solution/product
Ultimately, the aim is to search for a method/equipment which uses contactless technology to measure the wear index of the road markings instantaneously. If the prototype is able to do so in addition to scanning other parameters of the road conditions such as road defects etc, this could reduce the manpower needed for visual road inspections.
The coverage for the road markings encompasses the entire road network in Singapore which spans for about 3500 km. These solutions may be extended to other construction or maintenance companies which requires scanning technology to capture road defects or hazards on the roads such as potholes, cracks etc. It also has a potential for overseas market.
Proposal Submission Instructions
- Please download Application Form_0.docx found in the ATTACHMENT and fill it as detailed as possible.
- Click on “APPLY” button in this challenge page and fill in the required fields. Do upload your completed application form and any supporting documents prior to submission.
- If you are ready to submit your application, select “Submit for Review” in Change Proposal Workflow state field and click the Publish button.
- If you wish to save your application and return later to work on your application, select “Draft” in Change Proposal Workflow state and click the Publish button. Subsequently, when you return to your application and ready to submit, select “Submit for Review” in Change Proposal Workflow state field and click the Save button.
- You will receive a confirmation email once you have successfully submitted your application.
- Do contact [email protected] if you have issues with the application.
LTA-ESG JOINT INNOVATION CALL FOR LAND TRANSPORT INDUSTRY COLLABORATION
Proposal submissions are open from 30 Jul 2019 10:00AM to 31 Oct 2019 12:00AM