9. Automate bus tyre change process using assistive technology and reduce overall bus downtime
UPDATE: Tech briefing pdf is now available for download in ATTACHMENT
UPDATE 2: Refer to Additional Info below for the Proposal Submission Instructions
The current process of changing defective bus tyre is very strenuous for the worker.
Firstly, the worker has to jack up the vehicle, then remove 10 nuts from each tyre before the wheel can be removed. Thereafter, the defective tyre is replaced with a good tyre mounted on the rim and the worker has to align the wheel mounting holes to the wheel studs. Finally, the worker proceeds to tighten the nuts in 3 steps:
- 1st step - screw in the nut one by one diagonally;
- 2nd step - use a torque socket to tighten all the nuts diagonally;
- 3rd step - use a torque wrench to confirm the final setting.
The whole process takes about 15 mins per wheel and is repeated for the other remaining tyres. Tyre changing is also a sunset job with litlle career progression hence recruitment for such job is challenging. Therefore, there is an urgent need to automate this process.
The proposed solution must able to fully automate the whole process to demount the defective wheel, obtain correct fitment of wheel based on the bus model and get the correct torque for the wheel nut. It should be:
- able to remove and install all the wheel nuts simultaneously, with minimal intervention from ground staff
- able to tighten all wheel nuts in proper sequence and torque
- automate the removal of damaged tyre and installation of spare tyre.
- reduce the process time by at least 50%
1 month- confirmation of solution objective with supplier
3 months- proof of concept and prototyping
6 months- testing
- Equipment will be used in SBS workshop, under sheltered condition
- Weight of the tyre wheel is about 70kg
- Unladen weight of the bus varies from 9,000 to 16,000 kg depending on the model
- Equipment has to operate at an industry acceptable noise level in a close environment.
- Equipment must meet ISO 121000 (Risk Assessment and and Risk Reduction)
- Cost of equipement should not exceed $50,000
Market Potential for proposed solution/product
If the product is successfully developed, SBST plans to deploy it in all of its workshops (seven in total) and would also consider roll it out in other sister companies in the group. Furthermore, as such equipment is not available in the market, other big bus fleet operators in Singapore and abroad would likely be interested in this product.
Proposal Submission Instructions
- Please download Application Form_0.docx found in the ATTACHMENT and fill it as detailed as possible.
- Click on “APPLY” button in this challenge page and fill in the required fields. Do upload your completed application form and any supporting documents prior to submission.
- If you are ready to submit your application, select “Submit for Review” in Change Proposal Workflow state field and click the Publish button.
- If you wish to save your application and return later to work on your application, select “Draft” in Change Proposal Workflow state and click the Publish button. Subsequently, when you return to your application and ready to submit, select “Submit for Review” in Change Proposal Workflow state field and click the Save button.
- You will receive a confirmation email once you have successfully submitted your application.
- Do contact [email protected] if you have issues with the application.
LTA-ESG JOINT INNOVATION CALL FOR LAND TRANSPORT INDUSTRY COLLABORATION
Proposal submissions are open from 30 Jul 2019 10:00AM to 31 Oct 2019 12:00AM